The Panthers followed through on their desire to use Free Agency to set up the Draft. They don't want to "have to reach to fill a need" in the draft. One glaring need is at Corner Back. Depth is non-existent which is frightening. Earlier in Free Agency the Panthers tried to sign last year's 40th Ranked CB in Allan Ball from Jacksonville. At the last minute, Ball goes to Chicago for more money.
Interestingly enough, the Panthers then sign a CB from the team that picked up the Ball that we dropped. The Panthers sign Charles "Peanut" Tillman to a one-year deal. Former team mate and current Panther standout Greg Olsen likes the signing:
Here's a few things that you may or may not know about Tillman:
- He went to the same University as our very own Jake Delhomme (University of Louisiana Lafayette) Though not at the same time.
- Tillman was a Military brat growing up. Attended eleven schools. Lived in Germany for bit.(Very relatable to Coach Rivera)
- Has 42 forced fumbles. No Panther has more than 29. (J Peppers)
- Has 36 career INTs. No Panther has more than 27. (Chris Gamble)
- Tillman was the Walter Payton Man of The Year Award winner in 2014. (Thomas Davis won in 2015)
Tillman has missed much of the last two seasons after tearing his tricep twice and is 34 years old. He is not the long-term answer. However, adding a high character guy to the locker room is never bad. And should he stay healthy, we may just may be grateful that we dropped the Ball and added Peanut. I am happy to have him on the team. Let me know your thoughts on the matter.